10 Helpful Tips To Consider When Selecting A Roofing Contractor
Finding a roofing contractor in Los Angeles CA is never a problem, but finding the right one may be another story. It's unfortunate, but there are a lot of fly-by-night contractors out there and the Los Angeles roofing industry is no exception. If you have just started looking for one, here are 10 helpful tips that will enable you to narrow down your choices and make the right decision.
There are three areas to be concerned with - customer service performance, qualifications, and workmanship. Make a list of 5 or 6 roofing contractors in your local area and proceed with the following.
Customer service performance tips include:
- Finding out the length of time that the Los Angeles roofing contractor has been in business in your local area as well as any others - look for roofing contractors that have a minimum of 5 years experience in their trade.
- Get references for past customers and ask to see pictures of their work - you may find pictures of past jobs at their website. Whenever possible, contact their past customers and ask for their opinion of the contractor and the work they performed.
- Inquire about any past complaints against them - complaints are really not the issue. It is the way in which the contractor attempted to resolve them that is important. You can also check with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) about them.
Qualifications to inquire about:
- First rule of thumb: Never hire an unlicensed Los Angeles roofing contractor - just because they have a license, there is no guarantee that they will do quality work. You should check to see if they are a member of a roofing trade association or organization as well.
- Secondly, make sure they are insured - you should also inquire about the amount of coverage that they have. Sometimes contractors will skimp on their insurance coverage which won't do you much good if they damage your property and repairs are necessary. Ask to see their certificate of coverage so there are no surprises down the road.
- Third, make sure that they are based in your local area - look for contractors with local area street addresses and telephone numbers. P.O. Boxes or no address at all and '800' or other toll-free phone numbers are unacceptable.
Quality of workmanship:
- First and foremost, the contractor should thoroughly cover everything about your roofing repair or replacement project in Los Angeles CA before they ever start working - make sure they cover the more important elements of the job such as the color and type of products used, daily clean-up procedures, getting the proper permits, and your payment options.
- Inquire about the guarantees or warranties they provide - typically, they warranty their work for at least a year. However, it's not how long the warranty is good for that matters; it's whether or not the contractor you hire stands behind it.
- Make sure the roofing contractor you require follows industry safety standards - these are required by OSHA, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and they should also provide you with a copy of these documents.
Although the 10th and final tip is not grouped in with any of the above, searching online for a roofing contractor in Los Angeles is probably better than looking for one in your local area Yellow Pages. However, you should also talk with family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers about the contractors you are considering. They may have opinions worth listening to.